The Journey Begins (pt 8 - The Sellen River)

I have again been unable to write in my journal the last few days, things have been..hectic..to say the least. I'd decided after all to stay on the boat after Riverford, a decision prompted in part by a refund of a portion of my payment, since I had proven able to help defend the boat and willing to do so. The captain seemed grateful for the additional hand. We set out again, heading north at the usual slow pace, and the first day things went well until almost nightfall. About the time I would normally have written in my journal, all hells broke loose at once.

No one had even seen the Orcs moving along the bank, and before we knew it, they were all over the ship. Strange that there had been no word of their movement or activity in the region at the village or city. Things were hectic, and we fought as best we could, but we were no match either for their ferocity nor their numbers. After the captain was cut down, I grabbed my pack from the rear deck as I went overboard. I feel a certain guilt for abandoning any who may have survived, but in all honesty, I think the captain was the last to fall, at least in my field of vision. Thankfully, the Orcs seemed to think I wasn't worth risking the chilly waters for one probably dead floater.

I managed to get back to shore, just one cut and an arrow in my leg. The arrow didn't hit anything important, thankfully, broke it off and pushed it through. The cut wasn't bad, just hurt like hell.. Wrapped em both up and slipped into the woods. I wasn't even sure until the sun came up the next morning what side of the river I was on. Of course, luck being what it is, I was on the eastern bank instead of the western.

I've been making my way North still, trying to move mostly at night, and avoiding any areas that looked as though they might be good places for ambush. It seems that the increased traffic on the Sellen heading northward has drawn out more than a few parties who are interested in making profit off of the slow moving barges as they travel up river. I've seen at least one company of bandits, mixed races and the like, as well as spotting those Orcs from across the river again. I'm still hoping for a place to get across river fairly soon..I seem to recall there being a village not too much farther north, perhaps a boat there. I'm just thankful I paid for the wax pouch for my maps and journal, otherwise I'd have been lost completely after that swim.

No comments:

Post a Comment