The Journey Begins (pt 9 - The Sellen River)

It's been over a week since the loss of the boat, as I journey northwards it seems unlikely I will find a way to cross the river any time soon. The flow is simply too powerful, the river too wide. I was able to steal a bow from an Orc encampment a few days ago, as well as arrows, so that has helped considerably. A couple of fat rabbits and a wolf have helped to greatly extend my rations as I travel, and at least following the river finding water has not been a problem.

The bow is obviously something they had plundered, I think it's made of black pine, and the workmanship is far higher quality than any Orc ever managed to be certain. If I had a long enough rope, perhaps I could manage to shoot an arrow into a tree across one of the narrower points of the river, and use it to help swim across. Probably not though, that would still be an incredibly long shot..

I came across a settlement two nights ago, but it had been burned out mostly, and seemed completely deserted. I looked around a bit, but it appears others had already picked anything of value or use out of the rubble long before I got there, indeed, moss was growing on some of the charred wood already. If I can ever get across the river, I'm buying a horse at the first village I can find that has one, and making all due speed Northward. I'll be glad when I reach the River Kingdoms and can find others who share my desire for a new beginning, it's certainly true what they say about the dangers of traveling alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment