The Journey Begins (pt 2 - Voyage of the Taldan Star)

You know, I've heard of the snobbery of the Taldan of course. Everyone has. I never really appreciated it until I was on this ship. Most of the crew are out of Taldan, and even while they're trying to size me up to decide whether it's worth it to jump me or not, they're trying to turn their noses up at me. I wonder if Cassomir is going to be as bad.

I have picked up a bit of useful gossip on the way though..seems I'm not the first one that's been heading towards the Sellen and up it lately. Apparently rumors of land grants in the River Kingdoms have gotten around. Seems like everyone has heard that some or another in the North has started granting titles and recognition to anyone who can carve some order out of the chaos up there and quiet down the borders. It's attracted attention it looks like.

One of the sailors mentioned that this was his last journey on the Star, and that once things are squared away in Cassomir, he's taking contract on another boat headed northwards. Sounds like there's been a spike in banditry and pirate activity along the river, some of those headed north are apparently going slow and supplementing their income along the way it sounds like.

I've also started to wonder about the nature of this shield my father left me. It just seemed like a  fancy sort of shield with a seven pointed star motif..but one of the sailors saw it and looked like he was going to be sick. He's practically hid from me ever since. I've never seen a Mwangi turn that pale before.

Anyway, I figured out a way to secure the lock on my cabin at least, and I've checked and rechecked for hidden openings to get in here..including the ceiling and under the little cot.. I think I can risk a bit of sleep. Mind you I'm taking my sword to bed with me, but few things in life are without risk.

No comments:

Post a Comment