The Journey Begins (pt 1 - Absalom)

My mother told me once of the city of Absalom. She spoke of the beauty of the city, and of the amazing variety of people she had seen when visiting there. I'm glad I'll never have to tell her my thoughts on the city.

Absalom is a cesspool.

I should have realized that no city that big could be anything else. There are splendors to behold there, certainly..but it doesn't make up for what the city lacks in decency. Almost as soon as I got off my ship, a boy no older than seven tried to slit my purse. It sort of started the day off right. I decided I'd cut my sight-seeing short at that point, and immediately booked passage on The Taldan Star for Cassomir. The port on the river Sellen is a good place to find passage up the Sellen river..I imagine it will take most of what little gold I have left, but it should get me to the River Kingdoms.

Four hours..that's all I was in Absalom for, waiting for the ship to finish loading cargo and be ready to embark passengers. I have to admit, Starstone Cathedral is a sight I will never forget as long as I live. On the other hand, the slave blocks will haunt my nightmares for just as long. Just another bonus of heading to the River Kingdoms..no slaves. I stopped by the shrines of Desna and Gozreh to make offerings, had a pint at Cayden Cailean's Longhouse afterwards...three brawls broke out in the time it took to down a single pint. I'm guessing Cailean likes it that way.

Absalom Skyline


Just too crowded. I'm looking over the back rail of the ship, watching Absalom fade in the distance..we'll be turning North soon to head for Cassomir. The captain seemed a little less enthusiastic about having me as a passenger when I came on board under arms, probably thought he'd be able to pick up an extra bit of gold and a few trinkets before feeding me to the fish. Ah well, the trip isn't too long..I can sleep when I find an inn in Cassomir. Until then, I think I'll take the time to sharpen father's sword..he always said that sharpening a sword sorta encouraged people that saw you to behave themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment