The Journey Begins (pt 6 - The Sellen River)

I'm amazed at how different traveling the Sellen River is than the Inner Sea. The boat doesn't rock nearly as much for one thing, though it's not quite as large as the one I traveled in before. I had wondered how they would manage against the current of the river, but the boat has made what I would consider decent time. A mixture of oarsmen, poling in the shallows, and sail power has propelled the boat along at a serene pace today. There's a small cabin on the back of the boat, and I'm bunking in one side while the captain has the other. The crew seems to sleep on deck, though I will say they have canvas rigged to roll down if the weather is inclement.

We're following the western shore of the river..I asked about it earlier and the captain explained that, considering the eastern shore is most likely to have trouble, they always preferred the western on principal, even when things seemed quiet.

As a passenger on the vessel, I find this caution both respectable and appropriate.

I've been watching a group of travelers throughout the day though who are moving along the bank, and they seem to be keeping pace near perfectly with us. It seems as though perhaps traveling by horse up the river might have accomplished the same speed as riverboat. At least on the boat I'm vaguely less likely to be attacked by monsters..I hope.

Captain Smykes says that we'll reach a village near nightfall tomorrow, so will spend the night there, as the boat makes frequent stops as it travels northward to bring goods from the port to villages along the river. It seems a good arrangement..bringing wood and resources to Cassomir on the down river trip, and imports on the return trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment