The Journey Begins (pt 10 - The Long Road North)

It is an amazing happenstance that I write in this journal once more... Indeed, not long after my last entry I was set upon by bandits and captured, losing much of my gear and belongings. I was able to escape with just a dagger and the clothes on my back, fleeing. I still have a hard time explaining how it was that I managed to survive that flight or the days that followed. Eventually though, I met a dwarf I had encountered previously, by the name of Ultio. This kind being lent aid to a poor traveler in need, knowing there was scant hope I would ever be able to repay that kindness. Even so, his gifts in the healing arts were enough to bring me back from my fevered state and restore me, and I set out then in his company, since our destinations lay in the same direction. As we traveled, it became obvious in fact that we both sought the same place and the hope for new beginning and making a meaningful mark upon this world.

We had been traveling several weeks, making slow time since there was only one mount between us, before we came across a bandit encampment upon the banks of the Sellen river. It was obvious from their location and the deeply dug fire pits that they were avoiding the detection of the nearby village, probably preparing a raid. We slipped around and into the village, warning them of the danger. The sheriff of the village asked us to assist in the defense, and we quickly agreed. Ultio for noble reasons, I for more..personal reasons. I'd run afoul of bandits of my own, and hardly bore any good will towards these.

When the attack came in the wee hours before dawn, the village surprised the bandits completely. Tripwires and clotheslines pulled them from their mounts, and crossbow bolts seemed to sprout from everything not wearing the blue paint on it's shoulder's as they came into the town. It's no more than they deserved, setting upon innocent villagers in the night like that. Catching some of the horses we were able to ride down the ones that attempted to flee even, I think one or two might have slipped off into the woods, but I doubt they'll be volunteering to come back any time soon. The bodies were dumped into the Sellen to be eaten by the fish as they were carried down stream, but not before I made an amazing discovery. Looking over the captured gear, I found my own pack. I hadn't realized it was the same group of bandits, and it may not have been..it's impossible to tell just how such fortune could befall. But as I looked around more, I started finding more pieces of my gear, soon recovering everything but my leather armor.

So we set out again, heading north, and as I'm writing this we are preparing to take boat and cross the Kallas Lake, heading up the Sellen to our destination. This should be the final leg of our journey, and the boat is heavily guarded against river pirates, bandits and orcs alike. By the time of my next entry, I should be within the River Kingdoms themselves!

No comments:

Post a Comment